Friday, December 5, 2008

Aladdin Sane

A lad insane. It's a David Bowie Album/Song. David Bowie is such an influential rock star. Might I say in some way a genius? Gotta love David Bowie. Listen to that song though. I wonder if Page McConnel got his inspiration from it when he decided to write his piano part to the Phish song Bathtub Gin? They sound very similar in some ways. It's a mystery.

One time I was at this bar and there was karaoke going on. It's different from any karaoke I've ever seen. It's this guy in like his 30's who is always at this bar. He plugs in his stratocaster in the amp. Just rocks out on guitar. And then there's this big screen with lyrics. So he'll pick songs off this program on his computer, he'll play the guitar part and then you get to come up and sing. Even if you don't come up and sing, you can still see the screen from your tables and just sing from there while the guitar guy will be on the stage. I requested him to play Fame. He didn't know Fame. I asked if he had any Bowie. He said he knew Let's Dance. I said that sounds like a deal to me. He had a big list ahead of him though. I didn't know when it would come up. I would shout David Bowie at him everytime he finished a song, just hoping that it'll come up next. My friends didn't think it was going to happen. I told them that the guy and I talked it out and he said he would play David Bowie. Soon enough, even my friends were anxious to hear some Bowie. We would all shout Bowie whenever a song would end. After like 5 tries. My friends were giving up. They were like, "Max, He's not going to play it. We're going." I agreed with them. We started getting up and head our direction towards the door. And then in my ears I heard dun nu nu n n nu nuh, dun nu nu n n nu nuh. "Wait guys!" He's playing it. LETS DANCE! we turned around. I went up on stage. Started singing it. All of the sudden I looked down and my roommates were all in a train with like 30 strangers while I was singing. I was like holy fuck! I'm not even doing that great. Not like the Twist and Shout night. It was good enough though. And afterward everyone was cheering. I gave some high fives. And then my roommates all lifted me up like I won the Stanley Cup and carried me out of the bar. Good Times.

Poncho Sanchez is so amazing. If you're ever in a bad mood just listen to him. I guarantee that he'll put a smile on your face and make you want to shake your booty.

So last time I decided to get my thoughts out, I wasn't doing so hot. Well, I'm better now. I was gonna call some friends. Thinking it might cheer me up. I didn't do it. Didn't wanna bring anyone down. The next day I talked with my parents. My dad went through the surgery fine. It was nice to talk to them. Then I gave my cousins a shout. It was really good to hear their voices. They told me they missed me and asked me how I've been the past couple months. I kinda lied and said I was doing fine. But I guess it wasn't lying since I was feeling pretty good when I was talking to them. I called them when they were at the synagogue. That really cheered me up.

So I don't know what it was. I feel a better. I am a bit homesick though. A lot of my friends here like getting high. I smoked every once in a while. I've been trying to get it out of my life for the past year. Sometimes I say that I'm good. Other times I'll take the hit. I barely ever smoke anymore. Every once in a while. I'm just kind of over it. Don't really like being high that much. It's hard to talk to people. Especially girls. I told myself half a year ago that Amsterdam will be my final touch. I don't even plan to smoke there though. Just nibble on shrooms if anything. It was all a phase. It was step by step from curiosity to experience, to abuse, to addiction. What a terrible way to go.

My roommates think I'm crazy for not wanting to smoke in Amsterdam. They say it's the weed capitol of the world! Yeah? So what? What exactly will I miss? I've been high before. High off of the shittiest schwag which still fucked me up. And high from the dankest gravities (my old manager at JJ's), AK47s (minibong with frog slide, remember that Peter and Amar? Those had to be the best), oh and remember when I picked up those Juicy Fruits and brought them to your house Peter (trav, you were there too)? Those had an unbelieavable taste! Wish I could've gone to Hawaii with you guys senior year and smoked some Maui Wowie. It's all good though. Key West was so dope with trav's family. We got high with Kyle and bought the underwater disposable cameras that people get when they're about to go scuba diving. So that you can take pictures of cool ocean stuff like fish and sand. But instead, we took it to the pool and did some underwater poses. Haha! That shit was funny.

So maybe i will and maybe i wont. Probably won't though. It would be nice to hold a conversation with a friend I haven't seen in over a year. Peter comes here in 2 days! Holy shit! Wow! Can't even describe the excitement. That's all I have for now.

Oh yeah my friends. Have you seen Dexter? Everyone here is crazy about it. One of my friends says it might possibly be the greatest show ever. And he's seen Entourage and other great shows. I'll take his word. I think it's about a Serial Killer that goes around killing Serial Killers. Everyone says the episodes just keep getting better and better! Well I hope you haven't seen any. Cuz when I get back, we'll have a show to watch together. Someone download it. Or maybe I'll netflix it. I'll talk to you guys later. Peace!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're doing better max, I can't wait to be in your shoes though. Take it easy...

Unknown said...

I've seen Dexter, it's pretty interesting but I wouldn't call it the best show ever. Good to see you're enjoying Europe Max, I can't wait to explore it myself someday. I completely agree with your thoughts on smoking; it can make for a fun experience but usually when I smoke now I just feel like it's not even worth the negative effects. I miss jammin with you man, are you playin any instruments while you're in Italia?