Monday, August 18, 2008

Title Description

When I was 17 years old, I bought the Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti album. It was a 2 disc album. I listened to the first disc during the day. Later at night when I arrived home that very day from my buddy's house, I put disc 2 in my discman.

Before I put the headphones on and pushed play, I went to my bathroom to smoke a bowl as my parents were sleeping. To this day, I still don't know what the fuck I was thinking smoking pot 15 feet away from my parents' nostrils. But I couldn't help it, I had just got some gravities from my Jimmy John's Manager and they were dank as fuck!

This was a time when I was addicted to my old friend Mary Jane. Even though sometimes she would play tricks with my head, back then she was a very good friend.

It was past midnight and I had just finished coughing as loud and soft as I could at the same time through my wonderfully packed zoom tube as I would stand on top of my cushioned toilet seat blowing the smoke toward the air vent. I went in the tub to take a shower. But, whenever I plan to take a shower, it always turns into a shower bath.

A shower bath is what I like to call laying in a tub full of water with the shower head dropping droplets of water on my chest and belly. When you are as baked as I was, it's kind of like a front of body massage.

I finally finished showering and got ready for my bed. "What the fuck is that?!?" Oh, silly me, I just lied back on my discman. I had forgotten I put it there earlier before I smoked the bowl. "Well lets see what disc 2 has to offer!"

There are some types of music that when you put them in your headphones, it is just a much better experience than listening to it in the speakers. As I put the headphones in my ears, I pushed play. I lied in my bed with my eyes closed. The first song was "In the Light". All of the sudden, I had an inner body psychedelic experience with this song. I had no idea what was going on. I mean....yeah...I was high...but this was too crazy to be true. The song went into the insides of my ears and through my body all the way to the bottom of my toes and fingertips. I felt as though each strum of Jimmy Page's guitar strings were tickling my entire body while the synthesizer was giving me a full body skin rub. Robert Plant's voice just giving me the quivers. And the rhythm section would just repeat these feelings in a pulsing matter through my bloodstream. I ended up falling asleep with a large smile on my face. And to top all of that, I had visuals like the Itunes visualizer going on behind my eyelids.

I woke up the next morning with the headphones still on my ears and the discman out of battery. I got dressed and went to school. That morning I still remembered what happened the night before that I couldn't wait to tell Peter and Amar.

I have had this exact same experience with a couple different albums. But in total, it has only happened 5 times in my life. This was the most memorable because it was my first one. It changed my life. Not for the better or for the worse. I'm not a new man. I am still the same old Max. The only difference is that I just happened to have a kick ass experience on those particular nights that nobody else did. That is why it is so meaningful to me. Because it was an experience by me, to me, and for me.

Here are the 4 other discs that gave me the same experience:
1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
2. Phish - Junta (Disc 2)
3. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (Disc 1)
4. Radiohead - In Rainbows

No comments: